Monday, December 11, 2017

Poetry Prompt: Chaos

This is a crazy time of year. With the holiday season upon us, we find ourselves busy with family obligations, gift shopping and wrapping, packing and traveling, and confronting often difficult emotions when loved ones are no longer around. Often, the self-care that comes with a daily writing practice or daily creative practice can get lost in the overwhelming lists of things to be done as we close out the year.

I want to encourage you to embrace the chaos by channeling it into your writing. Morgan Dragonwillow reminded me of this just as NaNoWriMo began in November. She mentioned the website 750words, a digital tool for writing daily Morning Pages. (If you're unfamiliar with Morning Pages, check out Julia Cameron's book The Artist's Way or visit her website HERE.) I returned to this daily writing practice online on November 5 and have been consistently writing there every day since.

One thing I have noticed in my own daily writing practice is how often the word "chaos" kept coming up for me. I took this as a sign that I need to lean into the chaos, to embrace it as part of my world right now, and to offer it to you for this week's prompt.

I wish you words,
Amy McGrath

The Prompt:

Consider different ways that you experience or observe chaos. Did you know there's a hair care line called "Controlled Chaos"? I remember a house band from my undergraduate days called "Organized Confusion". 

How do you react/feel when there is chaos around you (excessive noise, clutter, crowds, etc.)? Do you ever experience internal chaos, those times when your mind is racing in many different directions and you can't seem to focus on any one task long enough to complete it? Lean into chaos in your writing. Describe it, tell us how you deal with it, illustrate it with your words. 

Synonyms (Word Prompts): 

disorder, disarray, disorganization, confusion, mayhem, bedlam, pandemonium, havoc, turmoil, tumult, commotion, disruption, upheaval, uproar, maelstrom, muddle, mess, shambles, free-for-all, anarchy, lawlessness, entropy, hullabaloo, hoopla, train wreck, all hell broke loose

Image Prompts:

Chaos in Green and Gold
Acrylic Monoprint
Amy McGrath

Neutral Chaos
Acrylic Monoprint
Amy McGrath

Spiraling Chaos
Acrylic Monoprint
Amy McGrath

2 comments:

  1. Lovely paintings Amy!! An artist's expression to fight with chaos. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect prompt for this time of year! Love your paintings! So glad you are on this poetry journey with me!

    ReplyDelete