Saturday, October 3, 2015

Poetry Prompt 3 - Showing Up

Image by Morgan Dragonwillow

"Showing up is half the battle." I've heard this time and again through out my life, sometimes it annoyed me and sometimes I knew it was right because you have to show up to the page to be able to get the words written for your poetry.

There is a lot of chaos in my life right now and I tend to not even want to show up at the page. I'm sure you have days such as these as well, days that you feel so drained of energy that you don't think you have even one word you can write down.

Poetry Prompt:

Image by George Hodan from PublicDomainPictures.net 
Free write for ten minutes about what drains you, what depletes your energy and makes you want to stay away from the page and what you do to change or transform it to help you get your words written. After you are finished, choose some or all of it and create a shape poem, that is when you arrange the words to create a shape and you can find samples on Shadow Poetry. The shape can be anything that you want it to be.

Word Prompts:

Exhaust
Consume
Flow

Sentence Starters: 

When I begin to feel...
As the water drains...


Remember our prompts are only suggestions to help light your words on fire.





PageLines- picture20193.jpgMorgan Dragonwillow is a poet, author, foodie, urban gardener, and recovering perfectionist, that (mostly) doesn't let her fears get in the way of her passion for writing and creating. She is team leader at @StoryDam, creatrix of  #OctPoWriMo You can find her Playing with Words on her blog. She lives in Marietta, Ga. with her loving and patient partner, their dog that thinks she's a princess, and the cat that reminds her that she isn't.
You can also find her on Google+

Make sure you sign up to receive our updates, tips and prompts to share in all the poetry fun!


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

6 comments:

  1. So far so good...And I actually used the prompt properly today! But with only 17 syllables that came to mind...I could relate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, when I tried to click on your link, my anti-virus AVG told me that it was corrupted. Would it be a good idea to do a scan of your computer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Viv, I had know idea. My website has been hacked and Google has black listed. I'm working on getting it cleaned up and running again but it can take up to 72 hours. I'm so upset. Fortunately my computer is fine but unfortunately anyone that has gone to my site without good virus protection probably has a bug now. :(

      Delete
    2. It is fixed now and hopefully there won't be anymore problems.

      Delete
  3. Oh boy this is a good one - I have something exactly right in mind. Not sure about the shape poem, though...we'll see how that turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted an off prompt... miss placed the shape poem.... sigh. but will post when I find it.

    ReplyDelete