Friday, October 2, 2015

Poetry Prompt 2 - Let's Hit the Ground Running!

Image from PublicDomainPictures.net - George Hodan

If there's one thing I'm known for in the local creative scene, it's for my poem that I adapted into a short film. The Last Line is doing pretty decently on the festival circuit this year so it's not actually available for public viewing yet, but it's something nice to think about.
"Write cinematically" is how I say it.
Find those key moments in the imagery and tell us every detail. Visualize every detail. No taste, no touch, no smells, just pictures and words.
It's the small things like a tequila sunrise next to a red candle. It's the cherry blossoms raining down on a first kiss, not just flowers, pink cherry blossoms. Dig in deep, feel the earth of the poetry in well... not between toes usually... but wherever you feel that poetry.

Here's an exercise for you. Go to one of your favorite movie scenes or music video (I tend to think the ones with no dialogue are better for this), captions off and mute. What do you feel? What can you write? Do you put words in their mouth? Is that laughter or something else?

Need a jumpstart? Here's a clip from one of my favorite movies: "The Hours"



Feel anything? Write anything? What's your favorite movie? Tell us in the comments and/or tweet @beverlytanfilm #OctPoWriMo

11 comments:

  1. Interesting exercise ... btw seems that the link app is missing or is this just on my end? Bastet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that Georgia, it is working now.

      Delete
    2. No problem ... I'm posting from Italy so I'm probably way too early with my links ... thanks for putting mine up btw. And congratulations ... yesterday was very successful! Bastet

      Delete
  2. I don't know how to do that movie clip thing, And my favourite film depends on what I've last seen! But an all time favourite that I used to play when I'm ill and/or depressed, is the Jungle Book, so I'll try and do something with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew! This one was tough. There are so many movies which have touched the soul. I had to muster enough courage to post the present poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm bad at favorites...favorite movie depends on the day. Moonstruck...Steel Magnolias...American President...Ferris Bueller...depends on the day! Off to post my poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, hadn't realised we were meant to post a link every day. I'll be posting on my blog every day - will add the link here if I get a chance :-) Thanks for hosting, and the great prompts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://thoughtsandentanglements.wordpress.com/2015/10/02/setting-sun-3/

    The above is the link to my post. Glad to be a part of this again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't read much of the post. The title was all I needed...as soon as I saw the word "running" I had my idea! Probably not what Beverly had in mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey whatever gets you writing is what I have in mind! Happy writing :)

      Delete
  8. I love this exercise...may I join (catch up) and still join?

    ReplyDelete