Monday, October 26, 2015

Looping Around

Alrighty, I think OctPoWriMo's greatest effect on me is that it's made me appreciate form more. Or maybe I needed more pushes to do something besides scribble letters on napkins at the wine lounge. I like circles. My filmmaker heart gets super happy when I see things come back and the full circle becomes complete so that's what I'm thinking about today as I write this post.

Today we are exploring loop poetry!

This one is a fairly freeform compared to some of the other ones, and I promise it's easier than the paradelle!

How to Loop: 
There are no restrictions on meter or syllables or rhyme schemes (YAY!)
BUT we have a few rules!

  • Take the last word of a line. Skip a line. Use that word as the first word of that line. 
  • I know, sounds harder than it is, so basically take the last word of the FIRST line and use it as the first word of the THIRD line. Take the last word of the SECOND line and use it as the first word of the FORTH line. Last word of the THIRD line is the first word of the FIFTH line. And it keeps going on and on like that. 
  • Some people do it by stanzas. 
  • There is also a variation where there's no skipping and the last word of the line simply becomes the first word of the next line. Simpler, but personally I think it's a LOT harder. 
Got it? Sounds fun right! 

Word Prompts: 
Cycle
Transparent 
Petrichor- the scent of rain on dry earth 
Rarity 

Sentence Prompts: 
So it started... 
Pretty as a... 
Tiptoeing around the... 

Photo of the day: 
Dress and modeling by Olivia Mears at Avant-Gee

Wrote something? As always link up below and tweet/instagram me at @beverlytanfilm #octpowrimo so I can share it! 
I love hearing what you think and remember, these prompts are just suggestions and my attempts to inspire some muse. 




1 comment: