Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Why Do You Write Poetry?



Image by Morgan Dragonwillow

There are probably as many reasons to write poetry as there are people that write it. When my first book came out and I started doing interviews for it, why I write poetry was one of the questions that popped up. Below was my answer.

"I write poetry to be able to say things, feel things that I can't seem to be able to express or feel anywhere else."

Of course I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that but that is it when you get right down to the nitty gritty.

Finding Inspiration to Write Poetry:

Three major things I do to get my words on the page when I'm not feeling inspired.

  1. I look at my photos or public domain pictures until something calls the words forward.
  2. I pull out my magnets and randomly choose words until a poem begins to form, such as, How to Create a Poem with Magnetic Poetry.
  3. I get a dictionary and randomly open to a page to find a word and do an acrostic poem such as Lipstick or Penetrate, and one of my favorite acrostic poems is the one that I did for the word Poetry itself.   .
Playing with my words
Opens the door
Especially stirring
The Imagination
Rather than feeling stuck
Yet again in stagnation 
Acrostic and be as simple or as in depth as you choose just like any other poetry type. I guess that is why I like it so much.

Where do you find inspiration when you aren't feeling poetic?

Day after tomorrow OctPoWriMo begins. I would love to hear why you write poetry in the comments below with a link to one of your favorite poems you have written on your blog or a link to one of your poems on Twitter or Instagram if you don't have a blog.

Remember to have compassion for your poetry process during the OctPoWriMo journey.



1 More Day until OctPoWriMo!
PageLines- picture20193.jpgMorgan Dragonwillow is a poet, author, foodie, urban gardener, and recovering perfectionist, that (mostly) doesn't let her fears get in the way of her passion for writing and creating. She is team leader at @StoryDam, creatrix of  #OctPoWriMo You can find her Playing with Words on her blog. She lives in Marietta, Ga. with her loving and patient partner, their dog that thinks she's a princess, and the cat that reminds her that she isn't.
You can also find her on Google+

Make sure you sign up to receive our updates, tips and prompts to share in all the poetry fun!


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

1 comment:

  1. Why do I write poetry ... a good question and one I really can't answer except by saying that seems to be where my meagre talent lies ... looking forward to participating again this year! Counting the seconds!

    ReplyDelete