Monday, March 3, 2014

Poetry Prompt - Better Late than Never

image by Petr Kratochvil
Time has been getting away from me lately. I've been forgetting appointment times even though I have them in my calendar. I missed a local event that I wanted to attend because I remembered the date incorrectly. And here it is my day to provide a poetry prompt and I"m late getting it posted because the weekend happened so fast I forgot to write this!

It's true that we can find inspiration anywhere, though, right? George Eliot said, "It's never to late to be what you might have been." I've taken this to heart recently as I've begun exploring artistic avenues that I have previously ignored. At 46 years old, I've taken up painting for the first time and I'm loving it. I believe that I am finally becoming what I might have been.

The Prompt: Think about times that you have been late for something. Perhaps you were late for an important meeting. Or maybe you were late for work or school. Do you know anyone who is chronically late? (I have a friend who will likely be late to her own funeral!) Have you taken up a new hobby or changed careers late in life? Try to capture the emotions and the physical sensations that you associate with being late in your poem this week.

Word Prompt: Late

Suggested Form: Blitz poem (my favorite!)

~Amy McGrath

P.S. We are just a month away from National Poetry Writing Month! Get ready for a poem a day in April!

Share your poetry with us by linking up. Make sure you visit your neighbors one or two before and after. If you are last on the list go back to the beginning of the list. Have fun!



1 comment:

  1. the FIRST 48 lines?! That's what it says about the Blitz form. Yikes! I'm going to write a modified form of this.. while I am painting, I think. Painting and Poeting Simultaneously! Love it!

    ReplyDelete