Monday, October 22, 2012

Writing Poetry Prompt 22: Random Words + Your Pen, Pencil or Keyboard = Fascinating Poetry



No: I haven’t gone off the deep end AND I think today’s subject may elicit a wide variety of poems.

Lately I have been completely enjoying a strange,  random, or, well – unique, form of collecting. I love collecting letters, diaries, journals, all sorts of personal correspondence of ordinary people in the 1920’s through 1940’s.

It is not completely unlike my collection of women authors in the 19th century.
It seems like there isn’t a rhyme or reason for this love, but it is strong. 

Very strong.

And it is, obviously, rather random.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines "random" as "Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard." This concept of randomness suggests a non-order  or non-coherence  in a sequence of symbols or steps, such that there is no intelligible pattern or combination.

Perhaps it is my upbringing : I sometimes feel I have a duty to justify the random things I love, these quirky obsessions that fascinate me.

What better way to justify some of our random obsessions than to write poetry about them?




How about some random facts to get your mind and fingers churning?

It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.

The surface area of an average-sized brick is 79 cm squared.

For the American poets in our group: If you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

The Neanderthal's brain was bigger than yours is.

Now, are you ready for some random prompting?

Word Prompt: Random

Sentence starter:  "My love (fascination, obsession, intense need) for insert random passion confuses people and I don't know why..." 

"Why my _____ needs to know insert random fact  I have no idea!"

Some random fact links to investigate (and I have no idea why blogger isn't being consistent with font size but I find this perfectly random so I shall not change it:

Factropolis - Apparently closed in 2010, but still houses many, MANY quirky random facts.

Random Facts: (Except my daughter disproved the "It is impossible to lick your elbow so be prepared for random inaccuracies. :-)

And for you video lovers out there....


And a final random fact, I don't usually watch videos so I would miss all these random facts presented here as I only listen to them while I do other stuff online UNLESS, of course, the video happens to feature a movie like Dead Poets Society, which you may have noticed from other videos I have shared here.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment